Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jason to Jessica–First Edits and Musings

firefoxThe first round of edits to Jason to Jessica have gone back to the editor. There were lots of them. It might have been this round of edits, but there was a lot of formatting and other ‘technical’ issues to work through and not much on content. Maybe that’s the next round?

 

In other musings today… Well, today is a day off for me so I’m trying to actually do some writing. But all I seem to be able to work up to is revisions and editing. PRIMAL TWO – KATIES’S RETURN is getting a beating as is TRANSFORMATIONS. It’s funny how you can go back to a story that you’ve not touched for a week or so and see all sorts of things that need correcting.

 

On a personal aside, four weeks and a couple of days before I’m out of here for leave. Bye Bye Kabul, hello Dubai.

2 comments:

  1. Some places seem to do only very minimal content editing. My first novel, which ran as a serial, and is now coming out from Torquere at the end of April, really didn't get much in the way of editing for content (and looking back at it from 2 years down the road, it could really have used it). There were things like I use the wrong kind of dash, and I think she just loaded up a shotgun full of commas and pointed it at the manuscript, but beyond things like that they only thing she did was fix some potentially confusing pronouns by replacing them with names. Thankfully I got to do a second round of my own edits on it after the serial run ended, and I think it's a better book now.

    I've think now and then, on my darker days, that I can't possibly be so good I didn't need some content editing, and wonder. Some houses may just copy edit and let the story fend for itself.

    The lesson I took away from this first one, is that you should never, ever assume the editor will fix things for you. With luck they'll make improvements, but that's never a reason not to take the time to try to make it perfect. (I did that with the blurb, because they said their marketing department would fix up what I sent. It didn't happen - they just ran with what I gave them. I'm reworking that now too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to personally congratulate you on your recent contract and send tons of well wishes your way. Everything in this business is a learning process. Can't wait for the release!

    And safe travels out of there.

    ReplyDelete